Go Back   www.ProModifieds.us > General Forums > Andy McCoy Race Cars Pro Modified Forum
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Andy McCoy Race Cars Pro Modified Forum

Old 06-10-2004, 09:08 PM
plentipower Offline

Aluminum block question

I'm building a turbo bbc, and currently have a Keith Black KB500 block with cast iron splayed bolt mains. I was told by a few people that it wouldn't hold the 2000+hp that my engine will make. I know turbos are much easier on parts than nitrous or superchargers, so if any of you guys could give me some feeback as to what blocks you use or what you would recommend in my application. Thanks. Any help greatly appreciated
Old 06-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Shawn Davis Offline

ALUM BLOCK

LOT OF PEOPLE USE THE KB OLDS BLOCK, CROSS BOLTED MAINS.
OR THE NEW CENTURY, ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE KB. CHUCK NYUTTEN HAS A BILLET BLOCK, NICE. WHAT IT NEEDS IS CROSS BOLTED MAINS THOUGH. I BELIEVE THE KB IS BEST VALUE AS FAR AS MONEY AND QUALITY.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:50 PM
monkey mitts Offline

Chuck makes cross bolted KB type blocks!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:06 AM
PSI63V Offline

I think the 500 series block is strong enough. I'm assuming that the turbo engine will probley be less than 500" with a stroke of around 4" or less. With this type off combo. and a good tuneup, no detonation, the block and ductile iron mains should be fine. If you do switch to the KB Olds, you will need the gear drive and a special pan to fit the block. Everything else the same.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Porsche 928 Offline

I broke the main web in my Rodeck block and wish I had known about this before. Now I have a Dart Big M block(iron) while waiting on a KB 600 block. My advice would be sell the block you have while it's still in good shape, take that money and get a KB, unless you have an extra $3000 and 4 months to wait on a CN billet block. Call KB and ask them this question. I think they'll tell you the same thing. Maybe w/ turbos you'll be OK. I'm making about 2100 HP blown alky.