Go Back   www.ProModifieds.us > General Forums > Andy McCoy Race Cars Pro Modified Forum
Home FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Andy McCoy Race Cars Pro Modified Forum

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
HDHTJH Offline

Ex-Rob Vandergriff 57 Chevy

Tom Neubert brought the ex-Vandergriff 57 Chevy to our 4.70 heads-up race at Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip on July 4th. The car still has the original paint and looks great. He said this was the 1988 season car.

Wayne.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 PM
HDHTJH Offline

Re: Ex-Rob Vandergriff 57 Chevy

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM
QUES Offline

The car still looks great and brings back a lot of memories for sure .
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Brian C Offline
Administrator

Wow, is still looks great!! Man what a car that was...
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
TD5 Online

I also wonder what ever happened to Robbie Vandergriff's first Top Sportsman/Pro Mod '57 Chevy Bel-Air
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Paul S Offline

Awesome car!!! What a treat.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Mike Carpenter Offline

I've got lots of bad memories involving this car out in front of that white '55 too many times. Looks great, thanks for the photos.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Justin League Offline

That is the first pro mod car I ever laid eyes on. 1988 or 1989 Super Chevy Show in Baytown, TX at Houston Raceway Park. Charles Carpenter was there, so was Karl Moyer, and many others. It was the day I fell in love with promods. I was only 8 or 9 years old.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Brian C Offline
Administrator

As a kid I didn't get to go to many races, but I could not wait to get my Dad's next issue of Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc to see how my hero's Carpenter, Vandergriff, Moyer, Bell, Foust, Jacobson, Henry & others were doing.... Those were definately the days...
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
RogerRichards Offline
Administrator

Man, I wish drag racing had been part of my world during the 70's. I miss the old racing and I didn't even attend any. Instead...I was shooting weddings and 80% of those are not around anymore..just like more than 80% of those cars are not around anymore. I still have the negatives for all those weddings but no one cares to see those old pics. Cars pics stand the passing of time much better.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Barry Kuhlmann Offline

This car snatched the quickest ET for doorslammers right off the bat with a 7.12 at the Darlington, Winter Nat's in 1988.

Then he might have lost it for 10 minutes at Ennis (Same race where Eddie Hill ran the first 4) then took it back with a mindblowing 7.00!

The 7.00 kept the car the worlds quickest doorslammer until Atco when Tommy Howes ran the first doorslammer 6.

The car was still the quickest N2O car until the final IHRA race of the season at Bristol where Gordy Hmiel ran the first N2O 6.

Robbie ran that car through the 90 season.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
tsvette Offline

Jimmy Boitnott from Cincinnati repainted it a few years back, you can see his 'signature' on the right rear bumper. He painted it for its owner from the mid-late 90's up until just a few years ago, Jim Pauckner from Blanchester, Ohio. He raced it at many divisional, and a few national events in TS in its day. My dad even ran it for part of the '02 or '03 season. It is a magnificent car in its own right nowdays, 20 years ago it was an engineering gem! Only problem was, if you had to get to the batteries or anything in the trunk, you had to drop the spoiler, and to drop the spoiler you had to remove the 'chutes, which was no easy task.
Back when Jim had the car it still had the original Centerline wheels all around, as well as the original scoop. Up close you would notice that one of the supports on the top of the wing is darker than the rest, because after all its a race car, not a show car... the original is hanging on my tv room wall... And also, I made the vinyl chevy bowtie above the kill switch that says 'push off'...
I believe Jim bought the car from a guy by the name of Kenny Clay from West Virginia. Jim was also the previous owner of the red, flamed Garrett-built '57 Chevy that runs in ADRL XTF, which was also painted by Boitnott..... small world, huh?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
George Howard Offline

The first 57 is in ALABAMA and was restored by Danny Mcgee and owned by a man named LOTTO FRANK. CHARLES CARPENTER IS MY P/M HERO.
GEORGE HOWARD
Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Eric David Bru Offline

Sweet!

I have always loved that Hot Rod!!

EDB
Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
HDHTJH Offline

Here's the reply I got from Tom Neubert's team member after posting these pics on our local drag strip message board.

Wayne.

[Hey Wayne, Thanks for all the great photos. Like Tom said this is the second of three cars that Rob Vandergriff and Jim Bryant ( owner of Thundercraft boats) campaigned in the late 80's and early 90's. The paint is still original, as is the Haas chassis. Tom (owner of Neubert Racing Fabrications in Knoxville) completely refurbished the car from front to rear. Rob along with Charlie Carpenter, Gordy Hmiel, Blake Wiggins, Scotty Cannon and few others were greatly responsible for what we know as Pro Mod today. Rob once told me that because the car was so popular at the time that Tee shirt sales paid a lot of his expenses. As plans go now we should see you again in August. Thanks for everything.

Roger.]
Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
jpkerley Offline

So what happened to Vandergriff?? Dwayne Watkins had the third car for about 5 years and we won a crap load of races in that thing. We had never been in the 30's with the Camaro and first trip out we went a .37 in that one with 7 cylinders. I will try and post some old pics.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
George Howard Offline

I bought the last car Rob had he drove that car for me the last year he raced p/m and I sold it to Kenny Scott and he sold it to Dewayne Watkins.
George Howard
Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 AM
eightball21560 Offline

if im not mistaken the first thundercraft car went through jeff littletons hands ,was repainted red and white and had mr shoebox on the door. i went to a match race at no alabama dragway in tuscumbia ,on a week night of all nights , and saw littleton and mr vandergriff put on a whale of a show. an old freind of mine mark jones double frame railed the last 57 for d. watkins.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
jpkerley Offline

yep that car was doing some twistin before he got it double railed.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM
TD5 Online

Wink Re: Ex-Rob Vandergriff 57 Chevy

Yeah Rob Vandergriff started '57 Chevy Pro Mod Car craze of today,I wish Rob & either of of the '57's was in competition to today